If you want to be the very best person you can be, you have to discover what that means to you. People have different interpretations of “best”, and yours may not be the same as mine.
So how do you discover what being an amazing example of a human being means to you?
1. Write down your greatest heroes. Don’t discriminate between famous people and people you know personally (or, I don’t know, you may know famous people personally. Write them down.)
Helpful Hint: If you have trouble thinking of heroes, start with your mom and dad. The point is to identify positive characteristics, and you can find good qualities in pretty much anyone.
2. Next to the names of your heroes, write down the qualities that you admire in them.
3. Once you’re done, notice the qualities you wrote down more than once. Highlight them.
4. Make a poster for yourself of all of the most important characteristics to you (the ones that you highlighted). Make it beautiful and hang it somewhere visible.
5. Every morning, say “My name is [insert name here] and these are the characteristics I embody: [list positive qualities here]”. Believe it!
Before long, you will feel yourself becoming more and more like the people you admire!
I think this exercise is especially powerful because it gives you room to be yourself while also learning from others. You do not have to exactly adhere to someone’s particular idiosyncrasies in order to follow their example.
“Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought.”
– Matsuo Basho