P’s Quote of the Week
“All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams, with open eyes, to make them possible.” -T.E. Lawrence
Things I’m Thankful for This Week
- My best friends, who always make my life full of adventures, laughter and good times–I’ll miss you guys so much.
- Being able to play tennis with my little brothers. I’m actually getting good! (:
- My pantry, which is always stocked with delicious, healthy, tasty foods
- Coffee-I’ve finally found the coffee of my dreams. After getting back from Italy I never thought I’d ever be satisfied again, but I have finally found a flavor/brew I really really like. Coffee is the nectar of the gods.
- Zumba classes! They are SO funnnn 😀
What I Want to Do to Make This Week Sunnier
- Take as many pictures and videos as humanely possible.
- Make a summer album consisting of all my summer pictures.
- Tell everyone I love how much I love them.
- Start packing for college….it’s becoming so real….
- Read through journal entries and quotes from the last year to reflect back on all the good times and amazing memories.
E’s Quote for the Week
Kind of a long on this week, but I think it’s worth it:
“Going back to the basis, the phrase ‘Fight Like A Girl’, and we’ve all heard that growing up. And by that they mean that you’re some kind of weakling and have no skills as a male. It’s said to little boys when they can’t fight yet, and it ridicules us. By the time we were born, the most of us hear things which program you to accept and know that you are less than your male counter part. It comes apparent in the way you’re paid for your job, it comes apparent when yóu are not allowed to go outside after a certain hour because you stand a good chance of getting raped while no one says that to your boyfriend. While women, anywhere, live in some kind of fear, there is no equality and that is mathematically impossible. We cannot see that change or solved in our lifetimes, but we have to do everything that we can. We should remind ourselves that we are fifty-one percent. Everyone should know that fighting like a girl is a positive thing and that there is not inherently anything wrong with us by the fact that we are born like ladies. That is a beautiful thing that we should never be put down because of. Being compared to a woman should only make a man feel stronger. It should be a compliment. In this world we’re creating it actually is.
I remember this one guy who came to our show in Texas or something and he had painted his shirt “real men fight like a girl”, and I cried, because he was going away in the army next day. He bought my book because he wanted something he could read over there. I just hoped that this men, fully straight and fully male can maintain and retain all of those things that make him understand us, and what makes him so beautiful. A lot of military training is step one: you take all those guys and put them in front of bunch of hardcore videogames where you kill a bunch of people and become desensitised. But that is NOT power! I will not do that. I will not become less of a human being and I refuse to give up my femininity because that’s bullshit. I’m not going to have to shave my head and become all buff and all that to be able to say “now I’m powerful” because that’s bullshit. All of this, all of us, we are power. You don’t have to change anything to be strong.”
Things I’m Grateful for This Week
- My mind, which I can feel bending and stretching like a gymnast as I learn chemistry and microbiology.
- My super-awesome-spectacular weekend! S and I went with our new friends C and V to V’s house. She was a wonderful host and we had an amazing time!
- My new yoga class. I feel so much more relaxed than usual because of it, even though I was was sore for days after the first class.
- My favorite new snack, frozen grapes, which is a great way to keep cool through the summer heat.
- My mug that my grandma gave me. I miss her loads!
What I Want to Do to Make This Week Sunnier
- Ace my finals
- Focus on walking with confidence and always looking people in the eye when I speak
- Not be afraid to ask for help
- Remember to exercise during study breaks
- Focus, focus, focus!
Hugs and Kisses,